Tuesday, July 27, 2010

DAY 3 - My First SCBWI-Carolinas Conference

Starting the day...

Day three and I am exhausted. I can't imagine how all the speakers are feeling. We are all sleep deprived.

Day 3 was only half a day event. I only attended one workshop since others were more for writers than illustrators.

Picture Book Dummies...

This workshop was presented by Elizabeth Dulemba, an award winning children's book author/illustrator.

In this workshop we learned how to create book dummies. She gave us copies of thumbnail templates that we could use to do our own. They are on her website for everyone to grab http://dulemba.com/


She showed us her successes with book dummies as well as her failures. This was a very informative workshop. I learned really good stuff.

The discussion then turned to the ipad. Elizabeth recently created her first iphone and ipad picture book, called Lula's brew: http://dulemba.com/ActivityPage-Lula.html. She had over 6,000 downloads of the book in just a few days. It was really beautiful to see.

After this workshop, it was pretty much over for me and I headed home to take a little nap to recover from all the information overload.

It was a great experience. I can't wait to see what they have planned for next year. These conferences were worth it, in my opinion, specially if you have never been to one. I am not sure what would happen once you start attending every year. I am not sure if things will start to sound repetitive but I think overall, it was worth the money I paid for it.

2 comments:

  1. Elizabeth has a very interesting site. The link to the thumbnail templates is on her "Links" page under Free Tools. I'm glad you enjoyed the conference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Elizabeth had good tips. It was a fun time.

    ReplyDelete