Friday, August 17, 2012

Monday, August 6, 2012

The Slipper Orchid Fairy - In Progress

 
Here is the progress I've made with fairy #3 in a series of 12 based on my watercolor paintings. For this fairy, I took a different approach. I created a more robust wire frame and reinforced with epoxy. I also made her much smaller than the previous ones. 

When I do a personal project, I always try to find a challenge to tackle. With the watercolor fairies, I wanted to learn how to paint with watercolors. For the 3D version of the watercolor fairies, my aim is to learn how to go from 2D to 3D and to feel more comfortable with sculpting faces. I am pretty happy with the outcome of this fairy's face. I am already learning lots about it.  I am also glad that I took a different approach to make the figure more sturdy but I am not glad about the fact that I did not achieve the best color for the petals.  They are a bit off. Perhaps because I did the blending of clays at night or maybe because I need glasses :-). I am not happy about that but it is now too late to change. I still have to paint the clay so maybe I'll decide to do something different then to get closer to the correct colors but I am still deciding. Enjoy!